- Master of Arts (Journalism & Mass Communication)
Mass communication worldwide is progressing at a dizzying speed. The state of the art communications hardware, evolving information technology and the internet have completely changed the rules of the game. The communication revolution is upon us, with all the potential of enabling us to close the information gap with more advanced societies, reducing disparities within our country and generating major social change. India’s mediascape indicates that mass media in the world’s second most populous country is truly unique. Unlike in the developed countries of the West, in India, all mass media – print, television,radio, cinema and the internet – have been growing simultaneously and are expected to continue to grow in the foreseeable future. The media industry in India is growing in leaps and bounds. According to FICCI-KPMG report (2016), Indian media and entertainment is set to reach Rs 2,260 billion by 2020. India will outpace overall growth in entertainment and media spending both across Asia-Pacific and globally through 2018(PwC 2016).
The field seems to be transcending into an unmatched growth and along with it the option of its pursuers to have a dynamic career. A degree in mass communication from Birla Global University, opens up opportunities in Journalism, Public relations and Advertising, as a lucrative career.
- About The Program
Our MAJMC course provides state of the art audio visual facilities for production of formats such as news, panel discussion etc. We have active partnership with media houses for hands-on training and exposure to industry’s best practices. Our Industry employability enhancement programme empowers students for suitable job placements. Community radio station and TV station is also on the anvil. All this is being done with the prime focus to give a high level of practical exposure to the students and to make them fit for the industry.
- The Regulation
- The Master of Arts in Journalism & Mass Communication (MAJMC), Under CBCS, is a two year full time degree programme. After successful completion of the course, Master of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication will be awarded to the successful students.
- Span of the Course:No student shall be allowed to appear any examination of MAJMC course after completion of 4 years from, the date of admission into the course.
- Duration of the course:the MAJMC course is of two years duration consisting of 4 semesters. The 1st & 3rd semesters (Odd Semesters) will commence from July to December and the 2nd & 4th semesters (Even Semesters) will commence from January to June.
- Number of Papers
Semester No. of Papers Credit Marks I 7 25 700 II 7 25 700 III 7 25 700 IV 6 25 600 Total 27 100 2700
- Eligibility for AdmissionAny graduate (General / Technical or Professional) from any recognized University.
- Attendance:A student has to secure a minimum of 75% of attendance in each paper of a Semester to be permitted to sit for the Semester examination. In case a candidate is unable to acquire the stipulated attendance at the end of any Semester, he/she shall not be allowed to appear the end semester examination of that semester.
- Classes:Each Course of 4 Credit shall be assigned 40 lecture classes.
- Scheme of Examination and Evaluation:
- Examination Components & Duration:Each Semester examination shall consist of a mid-semester examination and end-semester examination with weightage of 30% and 70% respectively. The mid-semester examination shall be of one/three hours durations and the end-semester examination shall be of three/six hours duration for non-practical/ practical subjects.
- Back/RepeatA student has to clear back papers of odd/even semesters by appearing at subsequent odd/even semester examinations till the span period of the course. A candidate who appears back/repeat examination shall not be considered for award of Gold Medal.
- Evaluation System:The semester system of examination will have internal system of valuation with a Board for Conducting Examiners to pass the result. The examiners will be decided by the Faculty Council of the respective School.
- Publication of Results.The result will be published within one month from the date of last examination held.
- Grading System:Grade Mark Secured from 10 Points
Grade Mark Secured from 100 Points ‘ O ‘ 90 – <= 100 10 ‘ A+ ‘ 80 – < 90 9 ‘ A ‘ 70 – < 80 8 ‘ B ‘ 60 – < 70 7 ‘ C ‘ 50 – < 60 6 ‘ P ‘ 40 – < 50 5 ‘ F ‘ Below 40 0 ‘ Ab ‘ Absent 0
- N.B. A Candidate has to secure 40% or above to pass in each of the Papers and 50% in aggregate to pass the examination. There shall be no provision for third class.
- A transitory letter grade I shall be introduced for cases where the results are incomplete. This grade shall automatically be converted into appropriate grade(s) as and when the results are complete.
- A student’s level of competence shall be categorized by a GRADE POINT AVERAGE to be specified as:
SGPA– Semester Grade Point Average
CGPA– Cumulative Grade Point Average
(a) POINT– Integer equivalent of each letter grade
(b) CREDIT– Integer signifying the relative emphasis of individual course item(s) in a semester as indicated by the Course structure and syllabus.
- In addition actual marks secured shall also be reflected in the Grade Sheet / Transcript.
- The details of grading shall be printed on the back side of the University Mark Sheet.
- Credit Transfer:There shall be a committee consisting of 3 experts from among the faculty of Schools to take appropriate decision on credit transfer in case of equivalent course.
- Unfair means in Examination:Any unfair means adopted by any examinee in any examination conducted by the University shall be punishable as per rules of the University.
- Application of Grace:The Board of Conducting Examiners is empowered to decide on the extent of application of grace subject to a maximum of 0.5% of the semester total for award of ‘B’ grade in a semester and 1% of the aggregate subject to 2 marks in a single paper.
- Program Objective
- To impart quality journalism education to students in shaping their career to prepare them for the competitive and dynamic mass media environment.
- To offer expertise to the industry, academia, government organizations, and non government organizations in the form of research, development programmes and consultancy.
- To equip participants with all skills required to face real life situations of the media world.
- To conduct primary and secondary researches and contribute to the pool of knowledge through publications.
- To publish journals, working papers, books and reports based on the quality research carried out by the faculty.
- To associate with leading institutions around the world for various academic purposes to support growth and pursue excellence.
- To provide knowledge sharing environment for discussions and other activities like conferences and seminars to contribute to academic development.
- The courses offered in this programme are meticulously drafted and are subsequently reviewed and revised at a regular intervals by the industry and academia experts imbuing it with valuable inputs for learning contemporary journalistic styles.
- Special Features of The Programme
- Accomplished faculty with excellent teaching skills and technical know-how for creative work in the media.
- A Student friendly campus with excellent Teaching-Learning environment with modern audio-visual facilities for training in print and electronic media (Media Lab, Studios) for high level of practical exposure.
- Active partnership with media houses for training and exposure to industry’s best-practices.
- Collaboration with foreign universities to provide exposure and expertise.
- Creation of a centre of excellence for offering variety of training and production.
- Regular updating of syllabus.
- Regular interaction with stalwarts from Media Industry and Academia.
- Exchange of ideas and thoughts through media workshops and seminars.
- Creation of a Centre for Strong Media Research activities.
- Facilities For Learning
- Fully equipped classrooms with multimedia facilities- based on participatory style of learning.
- State of the art Library with access to world class facilities for academic learning.
- Centrally Air conditioned and WI-FI campus with provision of holistic learning environment.
- Gymnasium, cafeteria and health centre with all modern amenities.
- Provision of an environment which promotes team-work while maintaining the individuality.
- Regular yoga instruction facilities.
- Facilities for recreation and sports.
- Mini shopping centre within the campus.
- Special emphasis on Indian heritage and culture.