- BACHELOR OF COMMERCE (HONORS)
Business education, in recent times, has gained paramount importance because of the growth of industry, trade and commerce, specifically, because of the money-driven economy that we are living in. The most important facet of business education is that, it produces talent and inculcates self-discipline and self-restraint. Business is no more a one man's show. Rather it is a concourse of human organizations which animate and articulate their aspirations and ambitions. Those need to be recognized & taken care of, so as to protect human values. Business education aims at nurturing and developing this talent. Therefore, Birla Global University, Bhubaneswar offers a three year full time B.Com. Programme simultaneously offering the students to interact with industry experts to gain fast-hand knowledge of the ground reality. The B.Com Honors Programme is divided into six semesters with specialization in Accounting / Finance / Management. The entire curriculum has been so designed that it includes an ideal combination of domain knowledge, knowledge of Information Technology and Industry-interface. Further the Syllabus is in conformity with the UGC curriculum of Choice Based Credit System (CBCS).
- PROGRAMME OBJECTIVES
• To nurture & create good talent
• To inculcate human values
• To build good citizens for the country.
- CHOICE BASED CREDIT SYSTEM(CBCS) - A GENERAL VIEW
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has initiated measures to bring equity, efficiency and excellence in the higher education system in the country. This includes innovation and improvement in curriculum, teaching learning process, examination and evaluation system besides governance and other matters. In order to ensure physical and digital mobility of students across the country the UGC has introduced the CBCS system to be implemented by all Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in the country. Specifically, the uniform Grading System is considered as a remarkable improvement over the conventional marks system. It ensures effective mobility of talent and also performance assement by potential employers. The entire course structure has been so designed that it ideally combines courses namely Ability Enhancement Course (Compulsory) - AECC , Ability Enhancement Elective Course - AEEC (Value Based or Skill Based) ,Generic Elective Course (Inter Disciplinary) and Core Courses which are in conformity with the CBCS system introduced by the UGC.
- WHY BGU ?
• The University has its own state-of-the-art infrastructure with a fully equipped physical and digital library to meet the academic needs of the students. • The University has its team of highly talented faculty with an ideal combination of domain knowledge and industry interface. • The University facilitates the all-round development of its prime stake holders through provision of Playground, Gym and all other allied infrastructure. • This is the only University in the State offering 158 credits to B.Com. (Hons.) Students with specialization in Accounting, Finance & Management. • The University provides opportunity to its students to gain practical knowledge through industry interface. • The curriculum of the University ideally combines courses on Skill Enhancement, Ability Enhancement, Information Technology and Core Courses. • The curriculum of the University is designed to enhance the employability of its prime stake holders • The University provides career progression assistance during & on successful completion of the course.
1.The Bachelor of Commerce Honors (BCH), under CBCS, a three year full-time Degree Programme, shall have six semesters. After successful completion of the six semesters, a B.Com (Hons.) Degree with specialization Accounting / Finance or Management will be awarded to qualified students.
2. Duration: The duration of the programme shall be 3 years with 6 semesters. Odd semester is from July to December (i.e. 1st , 3rd , 5th semester) and even semester is from January to June (i.e. 2nd , 4th , 6th semester). The examination shall be held tentatively in the month of December and May for odd and even semesters respectively.
3. Span Period
No students shall be admitted as a candidate for the examination for any part/s or semester/s after the lapse of six years from the date of admission to the first semester of the B.Com(H) programme
4. Semester wise no. of Papers and Credits
SemesterNo. of PapersCredit SEM-I524 SEM-II626 SEM-III526 SEM-IV528 SEM-V528 SEM-VI526 TOTAL31158
5. Eligibility Criteria for Admission:
The candidate should have passed +2 Examination of C.H.S.E., Odisha or its equivalent in any discipline with minimum 50% marks in aggregate. The selection would be based on the career and written test with equal weightage.
A student has to secure a minimum of 75% of attendance in each paper of a Semester to be permitted to sit for the Semester examination. In case a candidate is unable to acquire the stipulated attendance at the end of any Semester, he/she shall not be allowed to appear the end semester examination of that semester.
a. Non-practical subjects of 100 marks with 6 credits - 50 lecture classes and 10 tutorial classes
b. Non-practical subjects of 100 marks with 4 credits - 30 lecture classes and 10 tutorial classes
c. Non-practical subjects of 50 marks with 2 credits - 20 lecture classes
d. Practical subject of 100 marks with 6 credits 40 lecture classes and 20 practical classes.
e. Practical subjects of 100 marks with 4 credits 25 lecture classes 15 tutorial classes.
f. practical subjects of 50 marks with 2 credits 10 lecture classes and 10 practical classes.
8. Scheme of Examination:
a. Paper setting norms
Paper setting norms may be incorporated in the policy rules and details will be separately mentioned in ' Examination and Evaluation Policy '
b. Class Tests/Quizzes/Presentation
There shall be class tests/ quizzes/ presentation etc. for each paper carrying maximum of 10 marks - 5 marks for 100 - 50 marks paper respectively.
c. Mid Semester Examination:
The duration of the examination will be of one hour and maximum marks will be 20 for a 100 marks paper and 10 for 50 marks paper. The concerned faculty member should ensure that the coverage prior to mid-term examination is minimum first and second unit of the paper and the questions will be set from the covered units. The questions will be set in such a manner that to answer them knowledge of both the units will be required. If a candidate fails to appear or failed in the mid-term examination, with the permission of the concerned course teacher he/she can appear at the compensatory mid-term examination before the end semester examination. This would be held once only.
d. End Semester Examination:
The end semester examination will be held on consecutive days. There will be one sitting per day. The duration of the examination will be 3 hours for a 70 marks and 2 hours for a 35 marks paper.
e. A paper having no practical shall consist of three components as
(i) Mid-Semester Exam. 20%
(ii) End-Semester Exam. 70%
(iii) Continuous evaluation in term of class tests, quizzes, case study and class participation etc. 10%
NB-However if the concerned teacher of a paper wants he/she can exercise his/her discretion with regard to conduct of mid-semester examination and continues evaluation.
The papers having practical examinations shall consist of three components as :
i. Mid-Semester Exam.(Theory) 20 %
ii. End-Semester exam. (Theory) 50 %
iii. Practical Exam. 30 %
f.Odd semester examination (1st, 3rd , 5th ) shall be conducted in the month of December and Even semester (2nd , 4th ,6th ) shall be conducted the month of May.
g.The dates of examination shall be reflected in the Academic calendar.
h.A candidate has to secure at least 5 grade points both in theory and practical separately to pass the paper and 6 CGPA in aggregate in order to pass the examination.
i. Award of Distinction: Students securing 6 CGPA in first attempt shall be awarded B.Com(H) with Distinction. Distinction will not be awarded to candidates with back papers.Â
j.Conduct of Examination
English shall be the medium of instruction and examination.
A candidate who secures less than 5 grade points in individual paper in odd - even semester may appear the said paper in the following odd/even semester subject a maximum of two times with the span period of the course. However, if a candidate fails in the aggregate, he - she may appear in any paper of that semester to improve the aggregate subject to a maximum of two times within the span period.
9. Evaluation System: The semester system of examination will have internal system of valuation with a Board for Conducting Examiners to pass the result.
10. Publication of ResultsThe result will be published within one month from the date of last examination held.
Â Grading System:
Grade Mark Secured from 10 Points
PerformanceLetter GradeRange of MarksGrade Point Outstanding' O '90 - =< 10010 Excellent' A+ '80 - < 909 Very Good' A '70 - < 808 Good' B+ '60 - < 707 Above Average' B '50 - < 606 Average & Pass' C '40 - < 505 Failed' F 'Below 400 Absent' Ab '-0
N.B. A Candidate has to secure 5 grade points to pass in each of the Papers A transitory letter grade I (carrying points 2) shall be introduced for cases where the results are incomplete. This grade shall automatically be converted into appropriate grade(s) as and when the results are complete. A student's level of competence shall be categorized by a GRADE POINT AVERAGE to be specified as:
SGPA -Semester Grade Point Average
CGPA -Cumulative Grade Point Average (a) POINT - Integer equivalent of each letter grade (b) CREDIT - Integer signifying the relative emphasis of individual course item(s) in a semester as indicated by the Course structure and syllabus.
In addition to the points, the actual mark secured shall also be reflected in the Grade Sheet / Transcript of Marksheet.
After successfully completion of the six semester examination students will be awarded Bachelor Degree in Commerce (H) with specialization in Accounting / Finance / Management.
(However, in case of Distinction, a student has to secure 50% of marks in six semesters in one / first chance)
The regulation is subject to modification as and when necessary. The Syllabus shall remain valid from 2016-17 Admission Batch.
11. Credit Transfer There shall be a committee consisting of 3 experts from among the faculty of Schools to take appropriate decision on credit transfer in case of equivalent course.
12. Unfair means in Examination: Any unfair means adopted by any examinee in any examination conducted by the University shall be punishable as per rules of the University
13. Common Grace Mark Rule:This rule shall be made applicable in case of those candidates who after receiving such grace clear the end-term examination. However, the maximum grace mark is restricted to 2% of the total marks of the semester examination, provided further that the grace mark in any paper shall not exceed 10% of the maximum marks in that subject.
- MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY & SELECTION CRITERIA
A. Minimum Eligibility
The Candidate should have passed 10+2 with Minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA. Candidates appearing in final examinations can also apply.
B. Selection Criteria
Students would be admitted to the programme on the basis of merit (Percentage of marks secured in 10th and 10+2/12th Board Examination).
Candidate may also be called for Personal Interview, if so desired by the University.
- COURSE STRUCTURE
UNDER CBCS PATTERN
SEMESTERCOURSE TITLE Â Â Â SEM-ICommunicative EnglishFinancial AccountingBusiness LawsMicro EconomicsComputer/ITFundamentals of Banking Â Â Â SEM-IIBusiness Communication and Professional EnglishEnvironmental StudiesCorporate AccountingCorporate LawsMacro EconomicsFitness Management-I Â Â Â SEM-IIIComputer Application in BusinessManagement Principles & ApplicationsCost AccountingBusiness StatisticsFitness Management-IIDigital Marketing Â Â Â SEM-IVManagement AccountingFundamentals of Financial ManagementBusiness MathematicsPrinciples of MarketingEXIMPDCR I Â Â Â SEM-VIncome Tax Law & PracticeAuditing & Corporate GovernanceCreative Communication (Advertising and Event Management)PDCR IIDiscipline Specific Course-I
(Any one of the Following)
a. Specialized Accounting.
b. Financial Markets, Institution and Service.
c. Integrated Marketing Communication.
Discipline Specific Course-II
Business Research Methodology &Project Work (BRM-50, Project-50)
Â Â Â SEM-VIGoods and Services TaxOrganizational BehaviourEntrepreneurship & Small BusinessDiscipline Specific Course-III
(Any one of the Following)
a. Financial Analysis and Reporting
b. Security Market Operation
Discipline Specific Course-IV
(Any one of the Following)
a. Fundamentals of Investment
b. Consumer Affairs & Customer Care
- FEE STRUCTURE
Academic Fees for B.Com(Hons.)
No. of Semesters
Total Course fee (INR)*
* • The effective course fee will be applicable to students scoring more than 60% throughout their career.
• Students having higher percentage throughout career will be eligible for higher scholarship.
(Click here to view scholarship section)
• Students are required to maintain consistency in percentage to continue with the scholarship.
• In addition to this fee, students have to pay the security deposit (15,000 INR) and Medical insurance (3000 INR PA).
Lodging & Boarding expenses (Subject to revision every year)
Double Occupancy (In Campus)
15th June 2021
15th Dec 2021
15th June 2022
15th Dec 2022
15th June 2023
15th Dec 2023
Lodging ( A/C Accommodation)
Triple Occupancy (In Campus)
15th June 2021
15th Dec 2021
15th June 2022
15th Dec 2022
15th June 2023
15th Dec 2023
Lodging ( A/C)
*Two separate Demand Drafts should be made for Lodging & Mess charges respectively as per any one of the options given in the above table.
1. Student should preserve this schedule for timely payment of fees to avoid penalty for late fee deposition.
2. No notice or reminder will be sent to student or his/her parents.
3. No separate letter will be issued for Bank Education Loan.
4. Demand Draft should be made in the name of "BIRLA GLOBAL UNIVERSITY"Payable at Bhubaneswar.
NAME OF THE ACCOUNT HOLDER - BIRLA GLOBAL UNIVERSITY
BANK NAME - UCO BANK
ACCOUNT NUMBER - 31090110011430
IFSC CODE - UCBA0003109